This kit for the Retro Bag by Carol Ibbetson of Cool Wool Designs includes the following:
- 2 x 100g balls in main colour (yarn A) and 1 x 100g ball in contrast colour (yarn B) of Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton
- 1 x 3.5mm (US E4, UK9) crochet hook
- a printed A5 booklet containing the pattern
- a tapestry needle
- plastic mesh for reinforcing the base and sides of the bag
- a 20cm (8in) zip
- two snap fasteners
- a fat quarter of fabric to line the bag
- a stitch marker
- all contained in a small carrier with cut-out handles to use as a project bag.
You will also need a sewing needle and thread to attach the lining (not included).
The bottom is worked in two pieces which are then joined with stabilizing in between, then stitches are picked up along each long edge to work the shaped, patterned sides. The short handles and short sides are picked up and worked next, they are double thickness with stabilizing in between. Finally the long handle is worked in slip stitches for strength and decoration.
The bag is approximately 25cm (10in) wide at the base and 20cm (8in) wide at the top. The height is 17cm (6¾ in) to the bottom of the handle section. The base is a rectangle shape and is 6cm (2½ in) wide. The short handle section measures 5cm (2in) high and 20cm (8in) wide. The long handle is 65cm (25½in) but can be made to any required length.
18 sts and 22 rows to 10cm (4in) square over the mosaic crochet pattern using the 3.5mm hook provided.
Exact tension is not critical as there is plenty of yarn included so no need to worry if your tension is looser than this, but you need a tension which gives a firm fabric so that the bag will hold its shape, so a smaller size hook than recommended for the type of yarn is used.