This kit for the Maze Bag by Carol Ibbetson of Cool Wool Designs includes the following:
- 2 x 100g balls in main colour (yarn A) and 1 x 100g ball in contrast colour (yarn B) of Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton
- 1 x 3.5mm (US E4, UK9) crochet hook
- a printed A5 booklet containing the pattern
- a tapestry needle
- plastic mesh for reinforcing the base of the bag
- cord for reinforcing the long handle
- craft wire for reinforcing the short handle
- a wooden button
- a fat quarter of fabric to line the bag
- five stitch markers
- all contained in a small carrier with cut-out handles to use as a project bag.
You will also need a sewing needle and thread to attach the lining (not included).
The bottom is worked in the round in two pieces which are then joined with stabilizing in between, then stitches are picked up around the base to work the body in the round with side shaping. The long handle is worked separately and then attached along the inside to give a secure and decorative result. It can also be hidden inside the bag while the short handles are being used.
The bag is approximately 27cm (10½in) wide at the base and 23cm (9in) wide at the top. The height is 19cm (7½in). The base is a long oval shape and is 6cm (2½in) wide. The short handle measures 5cm (2in) high and 11cm (4¼in) wide and is reinforced with milliner’s wire. The long handle is 100cm (39½in) long including fastened off ends and is designed to be attached so that it can be hidden inside the bag if only the short handles are used. The handle can be made to any length.
19 sts and 24 rows to 10cm (4in) square over the mosaic crochet pattern using the 3.5mm hook provided.
Exact tension is not critical as there is plenty of yarn included so no need to worry if your tension is looser than this, but you need a tension which gives a firm fabric so that the bag will hold its shape, so a smaller size hook than recommended for the type of yarn is used.